DPS is one of the reputed schools in Noida and as per the school website which is here, during 2007, they received 30 forms for each single seat. DPS uses more of a lottery system to select candidates, this is what they sort of say. I know few parents who validated this since they could not figure out a reason for their ward’s selection or rejection.
Anyway, lets move on
Website – DPS Noida
Location – Sector 30. Its on Atta-NTPC road. Very well located.
Infrastructure – Good
Reputation – High
Recommendations – Very good (first hand recommendations which I got)
For 2009 session, one could fill Online forms by Sep 4th. Thats the only way to fill forms. There is no fee for filling this online form. The website is very tacky so keep clicking on the home page to get rid of that irritating flash animation.
We filled the form. Results for some of the cases were out on Sep 10th as per schedule. One of my friend got in and they have been called for ‘first interaction’ on Sep 12. I would update on what I hear from her.
I am not yet lucky and for my daughter, the website shows “Under Process”.
Update on 12 Sep 2008, through a friend who made it to the list.
There were 30 parents in one batch. Two batches were scheduled for 12 Sep, 2008. First a form was given, a simple one page form, personal data sort. After that you get prospectus against a payment for Rs 400.
Then another paper was given and that had two subjective questions viz.
1. What the milestones or landmarks during your child’s development in life ?
Answer – She answered it by mentioning things like
– when the child started walking, speaking
– her first day at school
– first eating , first x and first y
2. What efforts do you make the bond the family together ?
Kids Interaction Rounds
1. During this time, they started taking kids away to a room where there was a teacher. Kids was asked to do coloring while parents were busy answering questions. Her kid was asked to fill a duck. Then parents were asked to be with the child.
2. There was a puzzle where different pieces of a butterfly was to be assembled, jig saw puzzle. Not very difficult since a pic was there. To practice at home, take a large page and then draw a butterfly on it, paste that paper on a card-board and then make 4-6 pieces and ask Kid to put them together so that it looks like a butterfly.
3. In another puzzle, there was a strip of wood which had dots of colors of a particular sequence. Kids were give a string and beads and they were to put the beads in the right sequence. Its a little tricky for a Kid to hold the string and the bead but it seemed that Teachers gave kids enough time.
Parents were allowed to interact with the during this but I think they dont expect you to help them do this.You can hint or give verbal instructions.
4. There was a paper on which they had blue color at the bottom, then brown, then black and then light-blue. Kids were told that blue is water, brown is grass, black is road and they were to guess the meaning of ‘light-blue’. As per my friend, those colors were not looking like real water or road or grass (no gradient or shade or texture difference in terms of colors, dont know but someone should tell them that color has meaning if its of one single shade). So difficult for a kid.
Then they got some items from a box like flower pot, boat, car, dog etc and one has to put those things correctly. There were funny things like a man having a parachute. How many kids have seen a Parachute in real life.
5. Finally there was this Poem round. Kid were asked to recite with action. They asked two poems. Then she was given a toffee (eclairs and Kids HATE eclairs because it sticks) and were expected to say ‘Thank You’.
Another thing which my friend noted was the energy level of the teacher, that energy level also decides how the Kid does.
Whoooooooooooof. And they say that they select randomly.
Parents Round 2
Parents were called in a group (10 parents) along with kids in a hall. They then asked parents to introduce themselves. People generally talked about their qualification and their job and all. Funnily, neither the Principal nor anyone else form the school introduced themselves. There was no session from school where parents were told about the school, its education system etc.
Results would be out on 15 the Sep, 8 PM. Keep tuned. Feel free to ask anything or post any comment.
Since these results are out on 15th Sep, I am assuming that they might call some more kids and I hope that I get called.
Wish me luck and comment.
update on Sep 16 morning
My friend’s kid did not make it. The language which was their on the site was pretty rude. I haven’t got a call so far and I don’t think that I would get one now. Anyway.
DPS Management – If you ever read this then here’s a request from a parent. Make your process transparent and publish it on your website. If its lottery then have it in presence of select group of parents. If its interaction then please assign marks and publish merit list.
one more update
My Kid didn’t make it to even short-listing :). It took DPS five days to come out with that status. The website says that the shortlisting is based on random-selection and I believe them 🙂